This is a diary of my love affair with the cello.

Thursday, September 27, 2007

New member

I made the local orchestra I auditioned for on Monday. Honestly, I think they would have accepted any cellist brave enough to audition but....whatever. I opened up one of the pieces we're playing for the first concert (Barber's Adagio for Strings) and saw treble clefs. hmmm Hopefully I survive the year.

When they gave me the audition details, they told me that the audition was just before the first rehearsal of the year. They were having a potluck dinner and they said that I should plan on joining them for the potluck after the audition. My first thought was..."What if I don't make it?" It would be a bit awkward to sit through a potluck with them if they rejected me! However I didn't want to sound unsure of a good audition so I asked if I could bring something to the potluck. I did have a funny thought of me having a bad audition, not making the orchestra and having to walk back to my car dejected with cello and plate of food in hand. Good thing it all worked out and I didn't have to eat by myself :)








5 comments:

Melinda said...

That would be so sad trying to walk back with your cello and plate of food. Or maybe you would stay for the potluck and eat as much food as you can so that at least you got something out of it :) Anyways, I'm glad that scenario didn't occur.

This is a great idea, by the way! I didn't realize quite how much insanity starting a string instrument as an adult was until I was already a few years into it. And then it was too late! Cello insanity is a good name :)

Maricello said...

Congratulations on making the orchestra, and good luck with the treble clef!

It's nice about the potluck, not only because you got to go as a member of the orchestra, but to get to know the others. It's hard to do that during rehearsals.

CelloGeek said...

Great news about orchestra! I hope you have a lot of fun playing with them.

cellodonna said...

Congratulations on being accepted into the orchestra. I have found that to be a wonderful experience ever since I joined a year ago.

Are you still going to be in the string quartet?

CelloGirl said...

Thanks for the comments!

cellodreams - I'm still playing in the string quartet. It's my favorite ensemble to play in...I just wished we met more often and had some instruction. I need it!!