This is a diary of my love affair with the cello.

Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Lesson Notes 9/01/07

I'm still recovering from this lesson. Total frustration! The more I get deeper into this, the more I realize how impossible this instrument is. However, I know it's not impossible because I've seen plenty of people of YouTube doing it!!!!

This lesson was Haydn C major concerto. All thumb position...thumb all over the finger board.

Things to remember:
1) Thumb must be locked..especially in positions.
2) Wrist should be below the knuckles.
3) Weight from thumb should come of the shoulder...not originate from the hand.
4) Fingers should be curled.

I welcome any suggestions for practicing these runs!

4 comments:

cellodonna said...

I don't have any suggestions for practicing those particular runs, but I can offer some sympathy on the frustrations. I've had my share over the past 5 years. The good news: with hard work and time the problems can be overcome; the bad news: there's always going to be a new problem. (hmmm... sounds a lot like life.)

Anonymous said...

I've never played that concerto, but I agree with Cellodonna. Good luck!

CelloGeek said...

good luck with all of that thumb position! wish I had some good advice too. although--Emily Wright had a good exercise that she posted with a podcast--it has a good thumb position exercise that I have found very helpful. It's on her Cellobloggers page. Maybe you will too.

CelloGirl said...

Thanks for the comments. I will definitely check Emily's site for help. I didn't practice all week. I played a lot, but took a break from practicing. I'm ready to get back into it again this week :)

Have a great week!