This is a diary of my love affair with the cello.

Saturday, August 4, 2007

Lesson notes

I just got back from my cello lesson today. I had practiced Schroeder #29 all week with a metronome set to subdivided 16ths. Finally got it at the lesson today (I had tried it last week and it was pathetic!). I played my first Popper etude (#3). Surprisingly went a lot better than I thought it would. It's such a pretty etude...a bit of a tongue twister for the ear though. I think there are more accidentals in this piece than non-accidentals.

Moved on to the Brahms E Minor Sonata. Although I've played through this whole piece...and even tried it with a pianist friend of mine...we barely get through 8 measures. Focused a lot on tone and color, big big shifts crossing strings without lifting bow off the string, fingers off the string quicker to avoid unnecessary noise, breathe breathe breathe. I got home from the lesson and got a call an hour later from my teacher. He wanted to tell me that he felt that the sonata was coming along, to keep at it and that it will sound really great soon.

That felt good!

5 comments:

Guanaco said...

Welcome to blogland! It's cool to read another adult learner's notes and comments about the learning process.

It's so cool that your teacher called you after the lesson with a compliment on your progress.

cellodonna said...

Yes, that sure was nice of your teacher to call after the lesson.

You seem to have made very good progress for 6 years of study.

cellodonna said...

Well, looks like I've got some after-the-lesson-feedback as well. My cello teacher just emailed me this after today's lesson: "Great lesson today. I can hear your confidence and musicianship building with each lesson - congratulations!"

CelloGirl said...

It's nice when a teacher gives "after the lesson" compliments. I don't get it often - especially with this teacher. I barely get "at the lesson" compliments, much less afterwards!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't imagine my teacher doing something like that... although she does occasionally give "hidden" comments, like "This line's out of tune- I know you have a good ear, so pay close attention!"... or something like that.

Anyway, I really enjoy your blog!