This is a diary of my love affair with the cello.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Another performance

In an effort to not fall into a lull after spending months preparing the Haydn for a master class, I volunteered to play solo for a church service sometime in April or May. The people were really laid back and let me decide what I wanted to play. So I reached into my bag of "pieces I've been working on forever but still haven't gotten right" and decided on the Prelude to the Bach Cello Suite 3.

I remember when I first started it over 2 years ago. Learning the notes to the piece was never hard for me...in fact, I think I had it memorized within a month. The hard part for me was getting through the piece without pain. Yes, pain was what I had to overcome and here's some things I did to get the pain out of my playing.

First, my bow grip was seriously flawed. I was gripping the life out of the bow with my thumb. To keep the bow even and balanced while doing this, I had to engage my pinky to help keep the bow balanced. These two things made my right hand really sore halfway through the piece. Until recently, the bow has never been comfortable in my hand. One etude that has really helped with this is Popper etude #1. It's really a wrist etude but you can't really pull it off without having a good bow hold. My bow grip is not perfect but it's come a long way in the past two years. The proof? No more hand pain! So..if you're struggling with getting a comfortable bow grip, Popper #1 helped me a lot.

My body was tense. I was using muscles that really shouldn't be used when playing. Like - the jaw muscle? I clenched my jaw and my shoulders were tense while I played so I had to use other muscles to force the sound out. No wonder I was tired halfway through the Prelude! I realized that playing with tension is something a lot of cellists struggle with. I've had many teachers in the past but my current teacher is the only person to make this my primary focus when playing. This is such an important part of cello playing that I'm baffled that it took 6 years before someone mentioned tension to me. This is not to say that I now play with no tension. Unfortunately, 2 years of correction doesn't quite purge out 6 years of playing with tension but I'm much more aware of it now and can try to stop it when it happens. I've come a long way with it. The proof? I can play through the Prelude many times in practice with no pain. Feels nice!

Of course...being able to get through the entire piece without pain is only a baby step forward. The things I now have to overcome are much more elusive...phrasing, evenness and giving each note the full value of importance. Oh...the Bach Cello Suites...it's such a mountain to climb! You know a piece of music is complex when you can work on it for a few years and still be engaged.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

oh no! i just started playing cello and picked a bow up for the first time today. I was hoping that this pain in my thumb would go within a couple of weeks! i guess it's not that easy..

i started reading your blog a couple of days ago and it is really interesting for me to read an experienced learner's thoughts, so thanks very much!

CelloGirl said...

Hi Hannah! Thanks for reading. Congratulations on starting the cello. Unfortunately, the pain doesn't just "go away" without a little bit of effort. BUT - having said that - you can start thinking about it a lot earlier than I did!! You'll probably have a few months of discomfort just because you are working your muscles in ways you are not used to but there should not be pain. Since you just picked up a bow - you'll be experimenting in the next few months with what works for you. There are some great posts regarding bow hold in general and its common problems - sore thumbs and sore pinky joints.

You don't have to get it all right now but being aware of it will keep you away from the path I took :)

Happy reading (and practicing)!